Tuesday, May 13, 2014

SC Teachers Honored at LDA America 51st International Conference

Two SC teachers were honored as scholarship recipients at the 51st Annual International Conference in February, 2014. LDASC would like to honor these recipients for the recognition and contribution to working and advocating for and with students with LD. Pictured below, from left to right, are Scholarship Recipient Josh Morgan, LDASC President & LDAA Board Member Dr. Analisa L. Smith, LDASC Vice President Ann Whitten, LDASC Secretary Anne Fogel, & Scholarship Recipient, Karibasappa C. Nagaraja (Raj),

Scholarship Recipients & LDASC Board Members at LDAA Conference in Anaheim, CA.

Scholarship Recipients' Biographies:
Josh Morgan: I moved to South Carolina while I was in high school.  Though I went away to college for a few years, I finished up my work at North Greenville University with a Bachelors in Theology and went on to Bob Jones University to earn a graduate degree in Teaching Bible. It was also during my time at Bob Jones that I started an MAT English program.  During these years of schooling, I had many opportunities to work with at-risk youth of this inner-city.  They were wonderful experiences where I was able to apply my learning and reach out to those in my community. After graduating, I spent some time in Florida and Hawaii teaching Theology and English in the high school classroom.  When I came back to South Carolina, I had the opportunity to speak with the director of VISTAS at Spartanburg Day School about an opportunity to work with learning disabled students.  It didn't take me long to realize what a wonderful experience this could be for me.  I am nearing the end of my first year working for the program, and I have loved every day.  There's no better feeling than a student coming into my class smiling from cheek to cheek ready to share with me his or her successes in the classroom.

Karibasappa C. Nagaraja (Raj): I was born in India, I studied Bachelor in Education (BEd), Masters in Education (Med), Postgraduate diploma in special education, and Masters of Philosophy in Learning Disability (MPhil), Currently I am doing my Doctoral in degree in Mysore University, India. Currently I am working as a teacher at Orangeburg Wilkinson High School, Orangeburg, as a special education teacher. I have been working with children with special needs from last 17 years, especially with children with learning disabilities.  My main interests are in developing learning activities, assessments, teaching children with special needs, teacher training and learning disability awareness program for parents in India. I also present research papers at national and international conference related to learning disability.   

No comments:

Post a Comment